Thursday, July 19 2018:
Mumbaikars will have woken up to a change in the way they call ‘a’ name. The station that had become notorious not too long ago for a tragedy that impacted many – the stampede at Elphinstone Station- is now in the news again, albeit for a better reason if one were to compare.
Naming and renaming is the privilege of those who wear the crown since time immemorial.
Villages, towns, cities, states and countries- not forgetting oceans, seas, mountains, valleys and even stars, flora and fauna and yes even our own names- all given by those in some specific authority.
Sociologically speaking, Re-naming has come to represent some sort of an indication of whose hands the power lies in.
Think Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata … which a few decades ago were Bombay, Madras and Calcutta!
However, the question that begs to be asked is; In terms of real estate, how does this impact- if it does at all.
Case in point : Prabhadevi Station
- Will the commercial spaces around the station up their rentals, now that there is a 300 year old historical reference to it?
- Will the road outside be any better overnight? BMC to send their A team to do the honours?
- Will Upper Worli which has this station as a connecting lifeline also attract luxury clients to its top end residential offerings?
On a lighter note:
- From Elphinstone to Prabhadevi , does that change the way one jumps into or is flung out of the compartment by your heaving, weighty, trying to not step on your toe co-commuter?
- Will the snacks served by the authorised canteen contractor be prepared with any more care and quality?
- Will the shoe shine boy charge a rupee more to polish your shoe till he can see his face in its reflection?
Oh yes! Is the fare going to rise to and fro from Prabhadevi to cover rebranding costs.. that would be too bad if it does….maybe many will choose to skip this station all together then!
Let’s have your views on this !
The Real Estate Management Institute- REMI is a leading educational institute in India that provides programs specially designed for the real estate industry. REMI was established with a vision to ‘Skill India to Build India’ to contribute to industry development through training programs and to facilitate individual careers, as well as enhance leadership for existing real estate professionals.
REMI currently provides certification programs, executive courses and customized training workshops specially designed for the real estate industry. Our programs are run using the Socratic style of teaching, as we offer world-class best practices and a global curriculum to enable new entrants, early-stage professionals, entrepreneurs and leaders adapt to the evolving regulatory regime.
REMI is a pioneer in the field of real estate education in India having trained 2400+ People since our inception. REMI has over 320+ Corporate Association, 180+ Affiliated Visiting Experts and offers 100% Internship and Placement through a dedicated Career Development Centre (CDC). We are constantly exploring new dimensions and partnerships to help us stay ahead. Some of our partnerships include collaboration with The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), USA, Ganpat University in Ahmedabad, Practicing Engineers, Architects and Town Planners Association (PEATA), Habitat for Humanity, among others.
Our flagship Certifications in Business Management and Housing Finance (BMF 201), the Broker Certification Program (BCP 201), the Owner Developer Program (ODP) are just the tip of the iceberg. Our ability to curate industry-relevant programs with experts and thought leaders is our specialty. We currently offer 30+ programs for real estate.